A Stache For A Cause! [A Tall Glass of Shame]

Some guys might look clean-cut this early in the month of November, but will be growing out their facial hair for the rest of the month. How come? Movember! It is the time of year that men across the globe will be growing a little hairier for a cause. For those not in the know, and there must be a dwindling amount people out there who haven’t heard of it, Movember is an annual fund-raising event to raise funds and awareness for men’s health, specifically prostate cancer and testicular cancer. The international Movember Organization also supports male mental health, particularly in Canada, Australia and New Zealand.

The goal is fairly direct: Get men’s attention. Get men to go to the doctor. Detect disease early. Save lives. While simply growing a mustache for the month of November may sound a little trivial, All those men that go facially bald the other 11 months of the year grab the attention of those around them.  People will ask questions, those men then inform, and if they are signed up at the website, they can even help raise funds to help forward research and cures for a list of diseases affecting men’s lives every day globally.

Movember began in Australia in 2003 with a small group of men from Adelaide came up with an idea to grow some facial hair and raise some money to help raise awareness about serious men’s health issues. (Who said no good ideas are hatched in a bar while tossing a few pints back?) The movement has spread to the USA, Canada, the UK and Spain in 2007 and now has more than 1,000,000 participants worldwide raising over $174 million.  Where does that money actually go?  Only 10% of those funds are kept for administrative costs, the other 90% goes directly to funding research and prevention programs.

Last year over one million men got behind the cause as walking, talking (hairy) billboards. The benefits being realized by the Movember movement are not just funds for research, but include increased discussions around men’s health. In 2011, 20% of the men who participated saw a doctor due to concern after a self exam, and 67% of the men who participated recommended a doctor’s visit to their friends and loved ones. Here’s a lesson, do a self exam guys, get to your doctor for a regular prostate exam and also have your doctor check your skin for any blemishes or moles that may be the first signs of skin cancer. Grab your balls, grow a stache, or donate to one of these guys I know who are kicking ass and participating this Movember!

My Friend Huw’s Movember Donation Page: http://mobro.co/doctorhuw

My Friend Hank’s Movember Donation Page: http://us.movember.com/mospace/4678737

My Friend Morris’ Movember Donation Page: http://us.movember.com/mospace/1642044

My Friend Robert’s Movember Donation Page: http://us.movember.com/mospace/2854101

And here is some fun stuff to watch:

Toms Shoes teams up with Movember and Sons for Movember

How to grow a Movember mustache with Nick Offerman

If you liked this post, please do us the further boon of Liking the Fierce and Nerdy page on FaceBook. Also, we’re giving great stream on Twitter, so do give us follow.