Strengthen That Love! [Ask Dr. Miro: What You Didn't Learn In Health Class]
Dear Dr. Miro,
What are some suggestions for strengthening my marriage? We’ve been together 2 years and I want to focus on the things that can make us stronger not break us apart. Everything I read tells me what not to do so, uh, what CAN I do?
Congratulations on being proactive! Since it is so easy to get hung up on all the negatives, we can easily lose sight of the positives unless that extra effort is put in. Here is a top 10 list of things to help on your journey together.
1. Always remember what brought you together.
2. Continue to remind each other about all the things you love about the other – even when it is something as simple: I love how you ask me what I need from the store.
3. Ask what you can do for your true love. Sometimes we get so caught up in the daily routine, we can forget we may want different things.
4. Make time for romance. If that means scheduling it in, so be it.
5. Continue to take care of yourself. If you were a gym person when you first met, keep up with that. Make sure to keep hands, feet and other body parts well groomed. This will leak into how you care for each other.
6. Try to remember to do things for each other without having to be asked. That includes remembering to keep quiet about certain stuff and other times it could be as simple as using the “right” towel.
7. Strive to be the best possible version of yourself that you can be. This will (hopefully) inspire your mate to do the same. Set the bar for excellence without pressuring each other to be something they are not.
8. If you cannot afford big vacations, make sure to take mini-breaks. In this instance, towns 30 minutes away count! Get out of your daily rut, I mean, routine, to relieve some of the pressure that comes with the day to day.
9. Keep your own interests: maintain your authenticity and keep up with your friends.
10. People grow (hopefully) and it is crucial to allow the room for that flourishing.
Keep focusing on the great stuff and you will be rewarded for years to come!
featured image credit: hdzimmermann
If you liked this post, please do us the further boon of Liking the Fierce and Nerdy page on FaceBook. Also, we’re giving great stream on Twitter, so do give us follow.